The CSCS card is a way to verify that people working on construction sites have the appropriate knowledge and training. This helps prevent on-the-job mishaps that endanger everyone's health and safety. You obtain a CSCS card by taking the CSCS Health, Safety & Environment Test. There are 150 CSCS test centres nationwide including in Ilford.
What to Expect in the Test
When you arrive, the staff on hand will check your ID, verify you are scheduled to take the test at that time, and then take a photo of you for security purposes. The test itself will take 45 minutes and will consist of 50 multiple-choice questions. When you finish you will be given your result certificate.
What to Take With You
The most important thing to take with you is an acceptable form of identification. No ID, no test. No exceptions. Valid IDs include a UK driving license or passport.
If you do not have one of those you will need to show 2 alternative forms of ID. These include an EU Country ID card, a Trade Union card, a British Armed Forces card, a credit or debit card, a National Insurance card or a recent bank statement. For a full list of alternative IDs click here
What to do Before Going to the Test Centre
It is strongly suggested that you spend time revising before going for your test. Of candidates who fail the test nearly 3/4 failed to revise before taking the test.
How do I Book a Test?
Click the book now button below and follow the steps. Your test date and time will be send to your email usually within 24 hours.
About the Different CITB Tests
There are 3 different CITB Health, Safety and Environment tests currently being given in conjunction with the CSCS Card programme. Those tests are:
- The Operatives Test - If you wish to obtain a CSCS Green Card (Labourer) or a CSCS Red Card (Provisional) you will need to take the Operatives Test. It is the most basic of the 3 CITB tests.
- The Specialist Test - This test is given to Plumbers, Electricians, Pipefitters and others with special skills who wish to work on UK construction sites. If you want a Red Card (Trainee, Apprentice or Experienced Worker), Blue Card (Skilled Worker) or Gold Card (Supervisory, Advanced), take this test.
- The Managers and Professionals Test - This is the highest level CITB Test intended for those who occupy high-level positions in the construction industry. Take this test if you want a Red Card (Technical, Supervisor, Managers), White Card (Academically or Professionally Qualified Person) or Black Card (Manager).
Some tips that may help you pass the CITB test
- Do not assume that just because the Operatives Test is the lowest level test that it is easy. It's not. More people actually fail this test because they underestimate the difficulty. We advise that you purchase and use some high-quality revision materials.
- Before the test starts you’ll have a chance to familiarise yourself with the computer programme used for the test. If you have any questions about it make sure you ask before the test starts. Once it does it will be too late.
- If you are unsure about an answer skip the question for the time being. When there are just a few minutes left go back to any questions you skipped and offer an educated guess. Don’t leave any questions unanswered.
- Don’t waste time. You will have 45 minutes to answer 50 questions. That does not leave time for daydreaming or spending 5 or 10 minutes agonizing over a particular question. If you don’t know the answer, move on.
Remember, the #1 reason people fail the test is because they fail to prepare. Don’t let that happen to you. Pick up some quality revision materials and arrive at the test centre prepared.
There are three CITB tests available for the CSCS cards that are needed to work in the UK construction industry.
Make Sure You Take the Right Test!
The Operatives test is for:
GREEN cards - Labourers
RED cards - Provisional
The Specialist test is for:
BLUE card - Skilled workers
RED card - Experienced workers, apprentice or trainee
GOLD card - Supervisors
The Managers or Professional test:
RED card - Technical, supervisory or managerial
WHITE card - Academic or professional
BLACK card - Managers
Tips for Passing the Test
- Revise. Most people who don’t pass this test do so because they think it’s easy. Put in the time and study, so you don’t have to take the test again.
- Answer all the questions even if you are not sure. You have a one in four chance of getting it right. Don't leave any answers blank. A blank answer is a mark you won’t get.
- Take the opportunity to have a go using the software and try it out before the test begins, so you are confident when you start.
- Don’t spend too long on any question. If you aren't sure, move on to the next question and come back to the one you got stuck on. If time is running out and you really don’t know the answer - take a guess anyway. You might just be right, especially if you have studied!
Make sure you know which one of the dozens of CSCS cards you are getting, and make sure you do the right CITB test to go with it. If you aren’t sure, please call our office or check our website to find out which CITB test you need to be doing for your CSCS card.
The Operatives test might be the most basic and a lot of people think it will be easy to pass. It’s a test that’s designed to make sure you know how to stay safe on a construction site, and so it’s quite thorough. You will need to study for it. It is unlikely you will know the laws and regulations without prior experience or good solid revision of the materials.