What is the CSCS test?
The CSCS test
can go by a number of different names which can sometimes cause confusion for many candidates looking to book their test. The test can sometimes be referred to as the CITB test or more formally as the Health, Safety & Environment test (HS&E)
. These are all the same test. Ultimately, if you are looking to obtain your CSCS card then the Health, Safety & Environment test is something you must be taking.
Please be aware that there is also something called the Health, Safety & Awareness course (HS&A)
construction workers hoping to obtain a CSCS Green Card
will need to complete alongside their CSCS test. This is completely separate from the CSCS test and can be booked separately on our website under ‘CSCS Green Card Online Course
The CSCS test is something any worker would need to have passed within the last 2 years, no matter what CSCS card they desire. You will not be able to obtain a CSCS card without passing this test.
The CSCS test is a touch screen test that can be taken at one of many CITB approved test centres throughout the UK. The test is multiple choice and consists of 50 questions in total. More information on all of the test centres you can book your test at can be found on our website under ‘Test Centres
In essence, this test is an important way for construction workers to show employers that they are able to be safe on site. The aim of this test is to examine a candidate's knowledge across a wide range of topics to improve both safety and productivity on site.
Are there different types of this test?
There are 3 different types of CSCS test that you can take and they are as follows:
- Operative – This test may be required when applying for the CSCS Labourer card, Trainee card, Apprentice card, most CSCS Blue Skilled Worker cards and also most CSCS Gold Advanced Craft cards.
- Manager and Professional – This test type tests for everything that you would find within the operatives test. However, further material relevant to managers and professionals will also be included. This test is usually required when applying for the CSCS Black Managers card and the Academically or Professionally Qualified person card
- Specialist – This test type tests for everything in the operatives test, plus further material relating to a specialist area such as supervision or working at heights. Specialist tests are required when applying for the CSCS Gold Supervisor card, as well as CSCS Blue Skilled Worker and Gold Advanced Craft cards in some occupations.
What Does the Test & Retake Option Mean?
The test & retake option allows for you to take your test whilst also providing you the safety net of being able to rebook your test with us free of charge should for any reason you fail on your first attempt.
When purchasing a test and retake option:
- You will only be allowed one free retest.
- You must book your free retest within 7 days of failing your first test by emailing us at [email protected]
- The retest is non transferable between different people.
Do I need to do the online HS&A course first before I take my CSCS test?
Should you be looking to obtain your CSCS Green Card
, please note that there is no set order
in which to do your CSCS test and your Health, Safety & Awareness Course (HS&A)
. You can complete them in whichever order suits you best. Therefore, if you have booked your CSCS test and have not yet booked your Health, Safety & Awareness Course there is no need to worry or to cancel your CSCS test booking. More information on booking your HS&A course can be found on our website under ‘CSCS Green Card Online Course’
I need a CSCS Blue Card, but your confirmation email mentioned a CSCS Green Online Course, have I booked the wrong test?
The paragraph in your confirmation email referring to the Green card online course is merely there as it is a service that our company provides should you wish to explore it. If you are not looking to obtain a CSCS Green Card when booking your CSCS test with us then simply ignore this section of our confirmation email.
In order to receive the CSCS Blue Skilled Worker Card, you can either complete the Operatives HS&E Test or one of the Specialist HS&E Tests. You might be booked in for the correct test, however, this will depend upon your occupation. More helpful information relating to CSCS Cards and requirements for them can be found on our website under ‘Which Test Do I need?