The CSCS card is a way to verify that people working on construction sites have the appropriate knowledge and training. This helps prevent on-the-job mishaps that endanger everyone's health and safety. You obtain a CSCS card by taking the CITB Health, Safety & Environment Test. There are 150 CITB test centres nationwide including in Sunderland.
What to Expect in the Test
The exam day is very simple. On arrival, just show your ID to the staff and have your photo taken (for security purposes). After the exam begins, you have 45 minutes to answer 50 multiple-choice questions. Upon completion, you will receive a certificate of achievement with your test results
If you don’t pass, you may register for a retake in three days. It is highly recommended that you purchase revision materials to help you prepare for the retake. You can find these materials by following this link
Be sure to take advantage of these materials, especially if you fail the CITB exam your first time. Studying greatly increases your chances of achieving a passing score.
If you need to sign up to retake the CITB test, you may do so by clicking here
. You just need to fill out our online form with the requested information to get started.
What to Take With You
You must bring acceptable identification on the day of the test. If you do not have a valid ID, you will not be allowed to take the CITB exam (no exceptions). The most commonly accepted forms of identification include your UK driving license or passport.
If you do not have one of these forms of identification, you need to provide two alternative forms of identification. Acceptable forms of alternate identification include:
● Your EU Country ID card
● British Armed Forces card
● Trade Union card
● Credit or debit card
● National Insurance card
● Latest bank statement
What to Do Before Going to the Test Centre
To ensure that you achieve the best results, always look over your study materials before taking the test for the CSCS Card. If you need help preparing for the test, please click here
to learn how to acquire revision material.
How Do I Book a Test?
If you are ready to take the Sunderland CITB exam, please click here
and fill out our online form to apply. After providing the requested information, we will email your test time and date. This information usually arrives within 24 hours.About the Different Tests
There are three different types of test on offer at the Sunderland test centre – each of which will help you obtain different types of CSCS Card.
The three tests on offer are explained below:
- Up first is The Operatives Test. This is the most common of the tests provided. This doesn’t mean it is easy, though. This is the test you’re looking for if you want to obtain a CSCS Green Card (Labourer) or a CSCS Red Card (Provisional)
- Second is The Specialists Test. This is for Plumbers, Electricians, Pipefitters and other specialist tradespeople. This is the test to take if you want to obtain a CSCS Red Card (Trainee, Apprentice or Experienced Worker), CSCS Blue Card (Skilled Worker) or CSCS Gold Card (Supervisory or Advanced)
- Third is The Managers or Professionals Test. This is the test you need to take if you want to obtain a CSCS Red Card (Technical, Supervisor or Managers), a CSCS White Card (Academically or Professionally Qualified Person) or a CSCS Black Card (Manager)
It’s important that you take the CITB test that corresponds to the CSCS Card you want to obtain, so do take the time to read and ensure you are booking the right one.
Top Tips for Passing the Tests
In order to help you maximise your chances of success, we have compiled some top tips:
- Tip #1 – Preparation is key. Make sure you find time to revise and prepare for the test you have booked. Lots of people who fail these tests do so because they haven’t done any preparation.
- Tip #2 – Learn the software. When you arrive at the test centre, you will be given some time to familiarise yourself with the test software. Our advice – use this time wisely!
- Tip #3 – Don’t dwell on one question. As with any test, if you are struggling, move on and then come back to the tricky questions at the end.
- Tip #4 – Answer every question. This is the case even if you don’t actually know the answer. Guessing is better than leaving a question blank.
Whatever you do, make sure you arrive at the Sunderland test centre in plenty of time.