Book CITB Test for Handyman CSCS Card

Any Handyman working on construction sites will need to obtain a CSCS card suitable for their role. Any worker to attain a CSCS card of any type will first need to pass the correct CITB Health, Safety & Environment Test. The CITB test for Operatives is the standard and most common test type.
Book CITB Test for Operatives

Which CSCS Card for Handyman?

With a CSCS card to verify your qualifications, you will be eligible for consideration for work on any jobsite in the UK, major or minor. A CSCS card is recognised nation-wide, for both publicly and privately funded job sites. Most CSCS cards have a validity period of 5 years.

The type of CSCS card you will need is dependent on your role. A standard entry-level CSCS Labourer Card, often known as a CSCS Green Card, will be suitable for many Handymen. This is one of the most popular and easily attained types of CSCS cards. 

If you do specialist work, you may need a more advanced card type. The Blue Skilled Worker Card is for workers doing specialist roles. Ultimately, the card you will need is determined by your qualifications.

All applicants pursuing a Green Labourer CSCS Card, and most applicants pursuing a Blue Skilled Worker CSCS Card, will be required to take the CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test for Operatives.

Book CITB Operatives Test for Handyman

How do I apply for the CSCS card for a Handyman?


Book in a CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test at your local test centre.


 Complete your Level 1 Award in Health and Safety in a Construction Environment, or for specialists, your NVQ Level 2.


Apply for your CSCS Green Labourers Card or CSCS Blue Skilled Workers Card.
The CSCS Blue Skilled Worker card is renewable - so if you are just looking to renew your card, you will only need to repeat step one.

Apply to Renew your CSCS Blue Card

Book your CITB test for Handyman

About the CITB Test for Handyman CSCS Card

You cannot apply for any CSCS card without completing the relevant CITB Health, Safety and Environment test. Most applicants will need to take the standard Operatives test. This consists of 50 multiple choice questions to complete.

About the CITB Test for Handyman CSCS Card

The CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test is a necessary requirement for any CSCS card. Most applicants will need to take the CITB Operatives Test, which is the most popular and basic of the test types. These tests are only conducted at CITB’s approved centres. They are formulated to test your basic knowledge of foundational health, safety and environmental topics pertaining to construction.

In order to pass the Operatives test, you will need a score of at least 45/50. You should study in preparation for your test, as statistics show that the candidates who fail the CITB test for Operatives are mainly those who did not revise the material beforehand. It is therefore very important that you revise for your CITB Health, Safety and Environment test.

Booking your CITB Test for CSCS Handyman Card

Booking your CITB Handyman Test is simple. Fill out our booking form with your details and choose the relevant test type. You will then need to select a test centre and date of your choice before securely submitting your payment information. Your booking details should be with you within 24 hours.

Frequently Asked Questions:

CSCS stands for “Construction Skills Certification Scheme”. This programme was initiated in 1995 as a way to prevent unqualified individuals from causing mishaps on construction sites. The programme is credited with making construction sites as a whole significantly safer.

To be eligible for the CSCS Blue Card you must
  • Be at least 16 years of age.
  • Have Level 2 construction related NVQ qualification or equivalent (such as a City and Guilds Craft Certificate).
  • Pass the CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test. 

You can start the process and book your CITB Test here.

There are more than 150 CITB Test Centres nationwide, so there is bound to be one near you. When you book your appointment to take the CITB Operatives test you will be given a chance to choose a test centre in your area. If you want to find the location of CITB Blue Card Test centres you can do so here.

No. However, because the vast majority of construction companies in the UK voluntarily comply with the CSCS programme, having a CSCS Blue Skilled Worker Card is a requirement if you hope to enter most construction sites In the UK.

You can start the process of getting your CSCS Blue Skilled Worker Card by booking your CITB Test here

Once you have satisfied all the requirements and paid the fee your card will be sent to you via the post. It typically takes up to 5-10 working days to arrive, provided you have supplied an accurate address.

If you need to book your Health & Safety Test you can do so here.

Your new CSCS Blue Card will be valid for a period of 5 years from the date of issue. At the end of the 5 year period you will need to renew your CSCS Blue Skilled Worker card by completing another CITB Health & Safety Test and applying for a card renewal.

CITB Test Booking

Book Your CITB Test

Construction Certification 2024 All Rights Reserved.


Construction Certification is a booking agent that works with the constructions industry. Construction Certification is not part of CSCS or CITB.